OK, so as I was doing my water workout today, I was thinking of some secrets I’d share with you 😉 Ha- they’re not that interesting…but noteworthy:
1. If you “shuffle” your ipod (which if you are running in the water you can do so using my tip from this post) you will get a CRAZY random mix of music. For instance, here are the first five songs that I listened to on my workout today:
Allman Brothers-Please Call Home (from “Relaxing on a Sunday” mix)
Jay Z- Empire State (from “5k Play” mix)
Bruce Springsteen- Born to Run (from “old stuff” mix)
Bob Dylan- Forever Young (from “Relaxing on a Sunday” mix)
Kid Cudi- Up Up and Away (from “Chill” music mix”)
OK so as you can see, it can get SUPER random! Just enjoy! That leads me to # 2:
2. SING! For Heaven’s sake, no one can hear you! They are all under water!
3. Bargain with yourself. For instance, today I did NOT feel like doing kicks with the kickboard, so I bargained with myself and said I’d run in the pool for 15 minutes longer, so instead of an hour, I did 1:15. Done and done. Everyone bargains with themselves while working out and in life in general, I believe!
4. Do NOT look at the clock. Kind of obvious, but it will inevitably go slower. I promise. Again, bargain with yourself and say, “Ill look at the clock after 5 more laps, etc.
5. BRING FOOD. Something about the pool has always made me famished! I even remember as a little kid being starving immediately upon exiting the pool at summer camp. Anywhooo whatever the reason, have food for post-workout. I have my routine down to a science so I don’t end up eating my arm: when I get out of the pool, I shower off (chorine is not good chemical-wise for your skin) and take my bathing suit off. Then, I get dressed immediately, grab and apple, and throw my bathing suit into the gym’s awesome suit dryer. While I sit on the dryer, I eat my apple. It is times perfectly: one apple and it is dry! I then go home and have a real meal because the apple could hardly fill a cavity 😉
6. USE YOUR ARMS. Even when I’m jogging in the pool, I pump my arms in the water. The resistance is giving me some amazing guns (haha right) but no seriously, the resistance helps build the muscle. This brings me though to number 7:
7. STRETCH. Seriously. I usually wimp out on stretching and feel like it is a waste of time (I see those scowls through my computer) but the pool has made it absolutely necessary. Because the water makes you feel so weightless (definitely a plus with water workouts) you don’t realize how hard your muscles are working and if you do not stretch, you WILL feel it later. Some of my pool favorites are as follows:
– Put one foot on the wall of the pool, holding on to the side of the pool for support. Then put your other foot over your knee crossing it like a four. Bend into it getting your hip and hammies. Then stretch your leg out getting your calves.
-Put BOTH feet on the wall of the pool holding on to the side of the pool for support. Fully stretch your legs out, flexing your feet to get into your calf muscles. Round and flex your back (think cat/cow yoga poses) to get your spine and arm muscles.
8. Make mental lists. A great cure for boredom, but don’t assume you will remember them when back on land. ha! Today I did meal planing for the week and tried to plan a grocery list- unfortunately I forgot most items by the time I got to a paper and pen situation, but it worked to pass time. And since I did remember my meal planning I was able to make a grocery list off of that. Curious?
Sunday: Baked Manicotti (been craving for ages!) and salad
Monday: Sloppy Joes and homemade cole slaw
Tuesday: Breaded Chicken with potatoes and sauteed zuchinni
Wednesday: Meatball Sliders with tater tots
Thursday: Spaghetti and Clams (white wine sauce), garlic bread and salad
PS: Sorry this post was picture-less; when I’m in the water I don’t risk bringing my phone because I’m too busy trying to save my ipod from being drowned and don’t want to press my luck. Ha! Do you have any good water workout tips?