Hello hello! I wanted to check in with an update on my running life! I am SOOO excited to be in the running for a Newton Ambassadorship. Ya’ll KNOW how much I love my Newtons and that I will not run in any other shoe 😉 Can’t wait to hear when they announce the new team in mid-December! Anyway, as awesome as this is, I have NOT been pleased with myself as a runner. First off, I feel a tweak in my knee and I don’t like it. Not one bit. I always said that I would NEVER run a marathon for fear of what it would do to my body. Well, now my knee…hoping it is just because I am over-training and ran far too many miles in my old sneakers. This has since been fixed (the sneaker situation) but I am concerned it has cause more permanent damage. Anyway, hoping that clears up soon. Now, moving on to some self criticism. Let’s not parse words: my running SUCKS lately. I am doing a horrible job at training intelligently and it is ALL. OVER. THE. PLACE. I am SO disappointed with myself. While I am running more miles than ever (about 40 a week), I am simply not running smart. I have had NO plan and just fly by the seat of my pants. Maybe that will work for someone who is interested in a shorter running career, but not me. I am not happy with myself so I am writing this post and holding myself accountable. Here is the truth: I literally run with NO plan.
- I have had dead legs a lot. Not during a run as much as after. They just feel sore and like I need a massage.
- NO plan- I will literally just hop on the treadmill and run. In the middle of my run I will decide how many I will be running that day. While I run 6 daily on average, my total for the day could be 7, 8, 5 etc. NO PLAN = NO GOOD
- Not nearly enough stretching. I HAVE to get my tiger tail out. Anyone else stretch with this baby?
- Not enough cross training- it is SO hard because I REALLY feel like my “sport” is running and it is what makes me feel mentally and physically happy and good, but I KNOW that I need to cross trains. No ifs ands or butts.
Now, with all things, we have to look at the positives as well…
- I have begun running with the treadmill on a slight (.5-1%) incline
- I feel good for MOST of my miles
- Trying to stretch more
- Taking my run outside at least once a week, sometimes even with the added training of the jogging stroller
Ha! So I had actually begun this post at the end of last week and then over the weekend something SUPER annoying happened on one of my runs: I BIFFED! Like big time slammed the pavement, fell! I have NEVER fallen running. Really. I guess there is a first time for everything and this SUUUUCKED because I fell HARD! Like ripped my sneaker hard!
It was bad, guys. Like teens on bikes approaching asking if I needed help, bad. In case you are wondering what happened, my headphones wouldn’t work all of the sudden so I pulled them out of my phone and starting blowing into the jack and…BOOM! It must’ve been quite the scene…Anyway, I limp/ran the 3 miles home where my love treated my wounds and I am STILL sore! Oy. ANYWAY, that was a RUDE awakening that I NEED to treat my body and myself better. I NEED to run WITH A PLAN or I will NOT have the running career that I desire both in length, joy and non-injury. I vow to do better next month and I hope you hold me to it!