Guys. I don’t often post recipes here but this one I had to share. And, I can in fact take credit for this one! So. A few years ago used to buy these McCormick spice packets that would make certain dishes like chicken and dumplings and this yummy quesadilla casserole. McCormick no longer makes the spice packets so I had to come up with my own recipe. Here it is! Simple, easy, healthy and a great winter comfort food. You will need:
1 pound of ground meat (I used turkey this time and it was fabulous)
16 ounces of tomato sauce from a can (I used 2- 8oz small. For added tomato chunks, you could use one can of sauce and one can of diced tomatoes evenly)
One can of corn, leave a bit of juice in
One small can diced mild chiles
One small onion, diced
One can of black beans, drained.
6-10 inch flour tortillas
One bag shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese
Half a package of taco seasoning
1. Chop onion and fry in large pan until soft and aromatic. Season with salt and pepper. Add ground meat until cooked.
2. Add corn, sauce, black beans, and chiles. Stir until combined.
3. Add half packet of taco seasoning. Stir and let simmer for 3-5 minutes.
4. Grease the bottom of the casserole dish. Scoop one third of the mixture into the bottom of the dish and spread evenly. Please two flour tortillas overlapping onto the first layer of mixture and press down.
5. Add second third of mixture. Top with half of cheese and two more tortillas.
6. Add last third of mixture and rest of cheese.
7. Bake at 350 for 35 minutes. Let sit for ten minutes before serving.